Transforming The Workflow Of RTE, Ireland’s National Broadcaster.
About The Client
Raidio Teilifis Éireann (RTÉ) is Ireland’s national broadcaster, producing and delivering content for television, radio, online and mobile. As part of its strategy to stay ahead of the competition and remain relevant to its audiences, in 2010 the organization began the transition to a completely file-based infrastructure. This would enable RTÉ to move to full HD production and playout across multiple platforms, integrate digital islands and also address the very real difficulties and costs of sourcing and maintaining VTRs and related equipment to access the archive.
Following an open tender process, in late 2011 RTÉ selected TMD’s Mediaflex content management and workflow solution and engaged with TMD and Irish systems integrator, Eurotek, to build and deliver what was to become known as the FAST (File Acquisition and Server Technology) project.
How MJO Broadcast Helped
MJO Broadcast has played an integral role in the FAST project, supporting the prime contractor TMD - from the tender response, requirements-capture, workflow definition, solution design to the successful delivery of the final system.
1. Bid Management
MJO Broadcast managed the bid process on TMD’s behalf, leading the numerous presentations, site visits and technical Q&A sessions that formed the selection process. We worked closely with TMD to develop the solution design and the “win strategy” for the bid and introduced them to Eurotek, an Irish systems integrator with a long-standing relationship with MJO, proposing a joint approach for RTÉ that was to prove successful.
With the award of the contract to TMD in late 2011, MJO Broadcast was employed to undertake the workflow definition and manage the project on their behalf, across Phase 1 (a Proof-of-Concept system) and Phase 2 (the deployment of the final system).
2. Workflow Analysis & Requirements Capture
Working closely with RTÉ’s project team and representatives of their operations groups, MJO Broadcast mapped their current workflows and identified what enhancements they were looking for from the new system. Whilst high-level requirements were identified during the tender process, we were able to drill down further and effectively capture the specific requirements of the operators and key integration points to RTÉ’s existing business systems. We then presented back to RTÉ the TMD Mediaflex solution for the required workflows, introducing the Mediaflex philosophy and terminology.
3. Proof of Concept
Following the initial analysis, MJO Broadcast then designed a Proof-of-Concept (POC) system based on a small “out of the box” TMD Mediaflex solution, which was representative of the workflows we had captured and interfaced with RTÉ’s systems.
The purpose of the POC system was:
- To prove the overall concept of tapeless workflows within RTÉ’s environment, identify and help minimise the deployment risks.
- To evaluate the workflows identified during our analysis and from these develop the workflows required for go-live
- To enable the RTÉ project team to become familiar with the Mediaflex system, terminology and user interface and ensure staff buy-in (those who own the workflows developed them)
- To allow a gap analysis leading to the development specifications for all the business interfaces required between RTÉ’s existing systems and FAST.
- To provide a training and development platform to test new software releases once the main system went live.
We then trained the RTÉ project team on the workflows, including promo creation, compliance viewing, quality control, transcoding and delivery. With the in-depth understanding developed at the initial requirements capture, the project team very quickly gained a thorough grasp of the Mediaflex system and their own requirements in a tapeless environment - to such an extent that they were able to run the final POC presentation to their senior management team with absolute confidence. This was a significant step in securing the senior management team’s buy-in to the project.
4. Project Management & Delivery
Following the success of the POC and RTÉ’s approval to proceed to the final deployment, MJO Broadcast was employed by TMD to provide a Project Management office (PMO). Our role was to coordinate both the TMD and Eurotek project teams, ensuring effective collaboration and communication, with a Project Director providing a single point of contact to RTÉ.
Eurotek, the Systems Integration partner, also contracted MJO Broadcast to provide a project manager to run the design and installation of the broadcast and IT infrastructure that supports FAST.
With the strong foundation built within the RTÉ project team during Phase 1, the main project evolved into two separate threads:
- Eurotek and TMD building, installing and testing the main system;
- RTÉ’s internal project team training their super-users, developing their workflows and use cases in parallel on the original POC system.
By the time the main system was delivered in April 2013, RTÉ had comprehensive use cases prepared for the acceptance tests (500+ individual tests) with a team of super-users fully conversant with Mediaflex and confident in their new workflows.
The result for RTÉ was the successful deployment of an end-to-end content management system for all activities, applying the latest automated workflows for maximum operational efficiency. In moving away from tape-based, labour-intensive operations, the broadcaster estimates that FAST will deliver an estimated savings of €350,000 to RTÉ in the first year and €450,000 in subsequent years. In addition, RTÉ has been able to use the original POC system as a development and training platform where new software releases can be sandboxed and the continuing need for user training can be fulfilled.
RTÉ successfully took the system live in the summer of 2013 with the minimum of fuss. A testament to a well-run and executed project managed by MJO Broadcast, where collaboration and cooperation were central from day one.
Why choose MJO Broadcast to help transform your workflow
- Significant experience in deploying complex workflow management systems.
- A deep understanding of workflow, from both an operational & technical perspective.
- Effective requirements capture & ability to secure user buy-in.
- Design of flexible solutions that adapt to changing requirements.
- Solid project methodology & a collaborative approach that minimises the pain of delivering new technology projects.
Contact us today if you would like to learn more about how we helped RTÉ and TMD successfully deliver the FAST project and how MJO Broadcast can support you.